Ostrava Events and Festivals 2014 / 2015
(Ostrava, North Moravia, Czech Republic)
There are always things to do in the city of Ostrava, with traditional Czech festivals including Easter celebrations in March and April, and the pre-Christian festival known locally as 'Burning of the Witches', where many bonfires are lit and night-long partying can be expected.
However, few Czech festivals come bigger and more popular than the Colours of Ostrava. This major event takes place each year towards the end of June and lasts four days. The Colours of Ostrava festival attracts many of the very best bands and DJs from all over the Czech Republic and boasts a noteworthy world music element, appealing to all kinds of different tastes. Concerts are staged within central Ostrava, around the castle district, and also within the fairgrounds of Cerna Louka.
Other entertainment options in Ostrava include the Cinestar multiplex cinema at the Futurum Shopping Centre on the Novinárská, and the modern Antonin Dvorák Theatre on the Smetanovanám, where operas, ballets and other theatrical events are regularly hosted.
Ostrava National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Novy Rok) / Anniversary of Founding of the Czech Republic - January 1st
- Easter Monday (Pondeli Velikonocni) - March / April
- Labour Day (Svátek Práce) - May 1st
- Liberation Day (Den Osvobozeni) - May 8th
- SS Cyril and Methodius Day (Den Cyrila a Metodeje) - July 5th
- Jan Hus Day (Den Jana Husa) - July 6th
- Czech Statehood Day (Den Eeské Státnosti) - September 28th
- Independence Day (Den Vzniku Ceskoslovenska) - October 28th
- Freedom and Democracy Day (Den Boje za Svobodu a Demokracii) - November 17th
- Christmas (Vánoce) - December 24th to 26th