Tunisia Star Wars Locations and Sites
(Tunisia, TN, North Africa)
Whilst so many families and tourists come to Tunisia for its beautiful beaches and organised beach resorts, the country is also visited by a steady stream of die-hard Star Wars enthusiasts.
Fans of this world-famous George Lucas space epic often come here on a pilgrimage to see a number of the very recognisable film locations that featured so prominently in the first movie of the original trilogy.
In fact, no less than four of the six Star Wars films were actually filmed on location in southern Tunisia. Convincing film sets and existing desert buildings created the fictional planet of Tatooine, where Luke Skywalker and his father Anakin (Darth Vader) grew up. Of interest, Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in all three of the Star Wars prequel films, visited Tunisia during his Long Way Round motorcycle adventure in 2008, stopping off to see the very spot where Luke bought his robot companions R2-D2 and C-3PO.
Star Wars Film Locations
(an island off the coast of south-eastern Tunisia, in the Gulf of Gabès)
- Ben Kenobi's Hermitage - the home of Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Toshi Station - a power station sited next to the fictional town of Anchorhead
(a small town in southern Tunisia)
- Lars Homestead Interior - a traditional Berber troglodyte underground building, now serving as the Hotel Sidi Driss. The most hardened of Star Wars fans choose to spend a night or two here in this unusual hotel, with its themed film memorabilia, although the nearby Hotel Marhala is generally the preferred option for local accommodation in Matmata
(a prominent town lying on the south-eastern side of Tunisia)
- Anakin Skywalker's Home - filmed at the ancient Ksar Medenine granary, which was used as the distinctive exterior for Anakin's house
(roughly two hours and 30 minutes to the south-west of Medenine, in southern Tunisia. This was the namesake of the planet Tatooine)
- Slave Quarters - a popular location with a backdrop provided by the Ksar Ouled Soltane fortified granary
(an oasis city based in south-western Tunisia)
- Lars Homestead Exterior - home of Luke Skywalker, located on the fictional Great Chott Salt Flat of the Jundland Wastes
- Mos Espa - purpose-built set, complete with pod-racing arena, Watto's shop and also Sebulba's Café
- Oung Jmel / landing site of Darth Maul - situated roughly ten minutes to the east of Mos Espa and appearing in both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones
- Jundland Wastes (Sidi Bouhlel) - where you will find the 'Star Wars Canyon'. It was in this very gorge where the Sand People (Tusken Raiders) once attacked a young Luke