Monte Carlo Events and Festivals
(Monte Carlo, Monaco)
The Monaco Grand Prix has been drawing car enthusiasts to the principality since its inception and is the shining star of Monte Carlo's calendar of events and local festivals. This fast-moving event sees the city fill with supporters, who come to line the streets of Monte Carlo and watch as masterful drivers take on daring hairpin turns.
Vehicles of a different kind can be admired at the Monte Carlo Yacht Show in September, a popular event where some of the world's most expensive yachts gather at Port Hercules much to the delight of onlookers.
If you prefer more sedate entertainment rather than brash festivals, the city's opera season supplies visitors with a vast choice of quality performances, most of which are held at the flamboyant Monte Carlo Opera House. Later in the year, in April, guests are treated to ballet performances by Les Ballets de Monte Carlo at the Spring Arts Festival.
Monte Carlo Calendar of Festivals and Events 2014 / 2015
- Monte Carlo Opera - the opera season spans three months beginning in January and sees numerous performances take place at the city's highly ornate Opera House
- Monte Carlo Rally - rally cars from across Europe converge on the principality in this lively rally race that has been running in January since 1911
- International Circus Festivals of Monaco - late January, showcasing some of the best circus skills and performers currently on the planet, with heart-stopping stunts and acrobatics
- There are currently no significant events or festivals in Monte Carlo during the month of February
- Rose Ball - this charity event held every March to support the Princess Grace Foundation sees stars and the general public gather for shining performances at the Sporting d'Eté complex's Salle des Etoiles
- Monte Carlo Spring Arts Festival - theatre, music, dance and art entertain guests at this lively arts festival in April, held to mark the arrival of spring. Highlights are performances by Les Ballets de Monte Carlo and the Philharmonic Orchestra
- Monte Carlo Open - tennis fans from far and wide gather at the upscale Monte Carlo Country Club for this prestigious tournament which sees professionals battle it out against one another
- Monte Carlo Historic Grand Prix - possibly the best event in the world at which to see vintage cars in action, this adrenaline-fuelled race follows the same course as the Formula 1 Grand Prix, along roads that haven't been altered since the race came into being in 1929
- Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix - the globe's only race that take place on city streets draws thousands of racing fans each year in May, who come to witness this dramatic sporting event
- Feast of St. John - this Christian observance sees worshippers follow one another in a procession from Monaco Ville to Monte Carlo, where the procession ends its journey at the Church of St. Charles
- Concerts at the Prince's Palace - summer concerts by the Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra bring the courtyard of the Prince's Palace to life each evening
- Monte Carlo International Fireworks Festival - spanning two months from July, this festival sees firework masters from around the globe gather to show off their skill in pleasing audiences with cutting-edge fireworks displays
- Monte Carlo Red Cross Gala Ball - the Sporting d'Eté Club is the prestigious venue for this important fundraiser each August, and attracts ball gown-clad celebrities in their dozens
- Monaco Yacht Show - the city has a harbour full of impressive vessels year-round. However, September sees Port Hercules become anchorage to 100-odd of the sleekest and most modern yachts available, some of which are opened to the public
- There are no significant events or festivals in Monte Carlo during the month of October
- International Marathon - traversing France, Monaco and Italy, this unique November marathon covers more countries that any other. Expect crowds of enthusiastic supporters
- Monegasque National Holiday - fireworks mark this nationwide public holiday on November 19th. The morning after, Mass at the Monaco Cathedral is attended by the Knights of Malta and the royal family waves to onlookers from the Prince's Palace
- Christmas - the principality comes abuzz with Yuletide festivities during the month of December, including carol singing, concerts, decorations and special events