Fukuoka Shopping and Districts
(Fukuoka, Kyushu, Japan)
Shopping for souvenirs of your visit to Fukuoka is often an important part of your visit to the city and plenty of traditional Japanese gift ideas are available here, including clay Hakata dolls, Hakata obi silk sashes and a variety of ceramic ware.
The Tenjin area of Fukuoka is a great place for some serious window shopping, with the main department stores including both Daimaru and Mitsukoshi. Further shopping opportunities in Fukuoka present themselves in Tenjin's main high-rise complexes and underground shopping centres, particularly at Elgala, Iwataya Z-side, IMS, Tenjin Core and at Tenjin Chikagai. Of particularly interest, the IMS building boasts an impressive roof terrace, overlooking much of the city.
When to Shop and Opening Hours
The shopping hours in the city of Fukuoka are as follows:
- Department stores: daily - 10:00 to 18:30 or 19:00
- Small shops: daily - 10:00 to 17:00 or later, although some may close of Sundays
- Supermarkets: daily - 09:00 to 17:00
Where to Shop
For a true feel of local Japanese life and culture, the traditional shops around the Nishijin Shotengai provide a good place to start and include a host of local produce, sold both in shops and outside on small carts. Expect to find fruit and veg, flowers, pottery, clothes and more in this appealing part of Fukuoka. Also full of character and history, the Kawabata Shopping Arcade is Fukuoka's oldest shopping centre of its kind and is a covered strip of shops, offering many genuine bargains and inexpensive places to eat and a place to rest your legs.
Especially popular with America tourists is Marina Town, a glitzy shopping mall on the western side of Fukuoka, complete with large food court and free parking. The Shintencho arcade has become known for its speciality stores, while nearby, the Solaria shopping centre is hard to beat and comprises three separate buildings and many floors brimming with shops, eateries, a cinema, accommodation and even a gymnasium.
Other shopping highlights include the vast Canal City shopping mall, which is home to many high-street chain stores, a multi-screen cinema complex and even a theme park. The best shopping centres and department stores around Fukuoka are listed below.
- Sumiyoshi1-2, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka, 812-0018, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 282 2525
Daimaru Shopping Centre
- 1-4-1 Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0001, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 712 8181
- Tenjin 1-7-11, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0001, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 733 2001
Kawabata Shopping Arcade
- Nakasu, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0801, Japan, JP
- 3-1-10 Toyo-hama, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka, 819-0014, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 883 4147
- Tenjin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0001, Japan, JP
- Tenjin 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0001, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 733 7777
Tenjin Underground Shopping Arcade
- Tenjin Subway Station, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 814-0001, Japan, JP
- 1111 Yamada, Oh'aza, Hisayama Town, Fukuoka-ken, 811-2502, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 931 9100
Youme Town (Hakata)
- 1-1-1 Higashi-hama, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, 812-0055, Japan, JP
Tel: +81 092 641 7111