Aix en Provence Life and Visitor Travel Tips
(Aix en Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France)
Much of the interest in Aix en Provence is to be found along the Cours Mirabeau and the many interconnecting roads, such as the Rue Mazarine, the Rue de la Messe and also the Rue de Nazareth. The Place du Général de Gaulle is a central landmark worth noting and leads to the Avenue Napoléon Bonaparte.
Life in Aix en Provence is very much based around its tourism industry during the summer months, when hoards of visitors arrive in the city and quickly fill the hotels. This is a great time to visit Aix en Provence, although it can be busy and the accommodation is at its most expensive at this time of the year.
Tourism and Tourist Information
Make the Aix en Provence Tourist Office your first port of call when you arrive in the city, so that you can plan your itinerary and be sure not to miss out on any current events. The office is easy to find and is located on the Place du Général de Gaulle, close to the Avenue des Belges, the Cours Mirabeau, the Rue Espariat and also the Fontaine de la Rotonde.
Aix en Provence Tourist Office
Address: 2 Place du Général de Gaulle, Aix en Provence, France, FR
Tel: +33 04 42 16 11 61
Open hours: Monday to Saturday - 08:30 to 19:00, Sunday - 10:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 18:00
Language and Dialect
Although many hotels and shops in Aix en Provence feature English-speaking staff, a few words of French will go a long way. Here are some basic French phrases to get you started.
- What is your name? - comment vous appelez-vous?
- My name is... - je m'appelle...
- Where are you from? - de quel pays êtes-vous?
- I'm from... - je viens de...
- I'm looking for... - je cherche...
- What is the address? - quelle est l'address?
Dos and Don'ts
- Accommodation - central Aix en Provence quickly fills up during the summer months and also when busy conferences are taking place, making advance reservations at this time essential
- Banks and Money - the majority of commercial banks in Aix en Provence are situated along both the Cours Sextius and also the Cours Mirabeau, offering a simple way to obtain Euros
- Bookshops - plenty of English-language bookshops can be found along the Rue Cabassol, the Cours Mirabeau and the Rue du 4 Septembre
- Drinking - the city's many squares offer an array of pavement cafes and bars, particularly on the Place des Cardeurs and the Place de Verdun
- Internet Access - Internet cafes are to be found scattered around central Aix en Provence, with the Virtualis along the Rue des Cordeliers being especially popular
- Laundry - those in need of laundrettes will find plenty along the Rue Boulegon, Rue de la Fontaines and also the Cours Sextius
- Post Office - the city's post office is located on the Place de l'Hôtel de Ville
- Smoking - as of 2007, smoking in Aix en Provence is now illegal in all public places, although you are still able to smoke at some restaurants